Thursday, December 11, 2008

What have you turned around in your life?

I started out my day yesterday feeling down about HB 247 because I was just told it was not likely to pass now due to some technicalities. The question was posed to me, "Is it worth you and Johanna Orozco going down to Columbus to meet with Senator Goodman as planned in light of this news?" I asked Johanna her opinion. Her answer was "yes, we have to at least try". So we set out to Columbus early in the morning and got back to Cleveland about 5:00 pm. And YES, THE TRIP WAS WORTH EVERY MINUTE for several reasons. One was that it was a very positive and productive meeting with Senator Goodman. We were assured that he not only supports the bill, but is meeting with legal counsel to work out any technicalities. It sounds like it will have a hearing next Tuesday, in which we will make the trek back down to Columbus, and the bill will hopefully go to the floor for a vote next Thursday. That would be great news for teens and their families throughout Ohio.

The other reason it was worth the trip is that I walked away from my day with Johanna - absolutely amazed by her spirit, her enthusiasm, and her positive attitude. She made statements throughout the day like "I am not a quitter", "You never know how you might change a situation", and most striking, "This used to be a negative in my life, but now it is a positive because I can help others". Wow! What great wisdom for such a young woman.

So even though I started my day feeling down, I ended my day feeling hopeful and uplifted - thanks to Johanna.

It brings a question to my mind, what have you turned around in your life for the better? for a positive purpose? Please share it here. Thanks

No comments: